About Us

 

Founded in 1896, Cape Fear Country Club is the oldest private country club in North Carolina

In 1896 a handful of gentlemen shared a mutual appreciation for a new game called Golf in Wilmington, North Carolina. Colonel David Porter Heap arranged a meeting for the expressed purpose of organizing a Golf Club. This marked the official beginning of Cape Fear Country Club. The first location was within a public park on the property of the old Hilton Plantation, situated north of the Port City. Over the years the Club has relocated two times from the Hilton park, to the north side of Oleander Drive and to the south side of Oleander Drive. The Clubhouse has been rebuilt three times, the first building was a modest cottage built in 1900, in comparison to today’s premier structure. Through the years the clubs facilities have hosted major celebrations and sporting events. The Hugh Morton photo collection and the Living History video (below) serve as a tribute to members, athletes and celebrities who have made the club such a special place.
 

Photo Archive

Pictures courtesy of the Hugh Morton Collection.

Living History of the Cape Fear Country Club

Produced by the Cucalorus Film Foundation.
 

 
 
Follow us on Facebook: